Just what's needed to begin an Island Fitness Retreats morning, fuel in the form of cornmeal porridge. A West Indian breakfast can be a lot of things, bake and saltfish, fry fish, combined with fresh fruit etc., but West Indians love a good hearty porridge. After drinking you really don't need anything else.
Recipe and method:
- Soak 1/4 cup cornmeal in 1 cup of water for 10 mins or more.(the cornmeal will settle at the bottom, just stir it up)
- Simmer milk with a cinnamon stick
- Add sugar (to your own liking)
- Add cornmeal to milk and let simmer for 20 - 30 mins uncovered on low heat.(watch the cornmeal as it tends to get thick very fast as well as burn)
- Cornmeal will thicken(to your liking)
- To finish off add a dash of salt and Angostura bitters and evaporated milk, stir and,
- Serve either in a cup or bowl.
Note: reipce is my own and the results may vary as I don't measure, I eyeball 😊.