Travel Tip #102 : Show Gratitude to Your Local Host
The travel climate being what it is today where travellers yearn for an authentic experience, private accommodations within the home of a local, offers visitors a unique opportunity to live with a local resident, share their lives and learn from one another.
And in being welcomed into someone's home there are some very basic rules when it comes to being a guest:
- Arrive with a gift (Not everyone will accept wine, so be sure to know your audience before)
- Treat their home better than yours (keep your room clean, respect the home and hosts)
- Buy your own groceries
- Make the bed (you are not in a hotel and there is no room service)
- Don't be rude (if you don't like something, be tactful)
- Lend a hand where necessary
- Ask about the house rules
- Strip your bed on the day of your departure
- Leave a parting gift (you've stayed with your hosts and you've become aware to their likes, wants and needs)
- Send a thank-you note (when you've returned home, send a thank you , it shows your gratitude and decency as a human being) :)
Have you ever stayed with local hosts, if so what type of a guest are you and do you have any tips to impart?